Sunday, October 3, 2010

Training Fu

So my training bible is 101 Dog Tricks, by Kyra Sundance and Chalcy (Chalcy is the weimaraner).


You might think that a book with a dog as a co-author -- and a book this orange -- would not be good, but it is. Sundance and Chalcy are accomplished professional performers, and Sundance breaks every trick down into clear, fully illustrated elements. She's very emphatic about the step-by-step, chained approach needed with dogs, as well as the patience and encouragement they need not to give up.

So far, I'm trying teach Fu to Find It! which he does pretty well with treats, once I make clear to him that he has to do it himself. He clearly finds the whole thing peculiar, since I have traditionally just ponied up the goods without his having to do anything but maybe nose the treat cupboard door. Why, for God's sake, am I now making him look for something whose location I clearly know, since I just put it there? He's right -- it makes no sense. It's just what I want him to do.

Speaking of trained dogs, what's not to love in White Knuckles , the latest OK Go video? They even give to the ASPCA.


No comments:

Post a Comment